I'm still alive, but I haven't been on myspace much at all lately (they expect me to work when I'm at the office getting paid). Though I have been keeping up a bit and am on Facebook a bit more.
So much is going on...the summer just seems busy. I guess part of it is the kids getting older and involved in more things. Really, I try to avoid the overscheduling (soccer, baseball, karate, music, etc) that is so common these days. But at the same time, the kids have interests and I want them to explore those interests. And I want them to be involved. I just get picky about what they do.
Right now, they have tennis lessons two mornings a week. Now, I have never played tennis (unless you count hitting a ball against the brick wall with the cheapest racquet possible when I was 10). But, we pay for this country club membership and don't use much of what you get for the $550 a year. Why not use the tennis courts, right? So ... the kids are in lessons and are taking great pride in teaching ME what they learn. A couple of weeks ago I brought them to Academy to get some practice balls, a basket to hold those balls, new racquets for them - and a racquet for me. We spent more time chasing balls on the court than actually hitting them with the racquet. BUT - it was fun, it was EXERCISE, and the kids had fun.
In the evenings, they have swimming. The swim team for the country club circuit is great - all levels including VERY beginners are included and rewarded. They practice 3 to 4 times a week and have meets just about every Tuesday. They get ribbons for participating (they both got 3rd place ribbons last week!), and they have learned to swim. Not to mention the fact that kids sleep REALLY well after a couple of hours swimming. ;) I posted a few pictures from the last meet in an album here on myspace (taken with Chris's camera - I was afraid to bring mine to the pool!).
Chris is working long hours, but he LOVES being back in the classroom. It is where he belongs. Unfortunately, he's got early morning classes (8 am two days a week) and late classes (6-9 pm FOUR days a week), so he's exhausted by Friday and sometimes goes a couple of days without seeing the kids. It is Thursday evening, and he hasn't seen them since he dropped them at tennis Tuesday morning. They will be asleep when he gets home tonight so he won't see them until tomorrow. And Friday is his "zombie" day where he walks around in a daze still suffering from complete exhaustion.
I've got a 5 day weekend coming up and am excited to have some down time. Tomorrow I think we'll head to Baton Rouge to see Sarah and Jim for the 4th. The kids are excited about that (and so are we!!). I may grab my camera and go grab some shots somewhere - it's been too long since I've done that. Though I have an extensive lens wish list, I can't justify buying even one more until I use the three that I have!!!! So maybe I'll have some fun new pics to post after this weekend. Chris still has to work, but maybe I'll bring the kids over to have lunch with him Monday.
I have still be cooking, just not posting about it. I think tonight I will make the sweet potatoe and shrimp cakes that I posted in the fall. I've got all of the ingredients in the fridge. Or maybe I'll just order a pizza and tackle the mountain of laundry on the sofa that is waiting so patiently to be folded. Or maybe I'll just order that pizza and watch the Olympic swim trials tonight with the kids.
So much is going on...the summer just seems busy. I guess part of it is the kids getting older and involved in more things. Really, I try to avoid the overscheduling (soccer, baseball, karate, music, etc) that is so common these days. But at the same time, the kids have interests and I want them to explore those interests. And I want them to be involved. I just get picky about what they do.
Right now, they have tennis lessons two mornings a week. Now, I have never played tennis (unless you count hitting a ball against the brick wall with the cheapest racquet possible when I was 10). But, we pay for this country club membership and don't use much of what you get for the $550 a year. Why not use the tennis courts, right? So ... the kids are in lessons and are taking great pride in teaching ME what they learn. A couple of weeks ago I brought them to Academy to get some practice balls, a basket to hold those balls, new racquets for them - and a racquet for me. We spent more time chasing balls on the court than actually hitting them with the racquet. BUT - it was fun, it was EXERCISE, and the kids had fun.
In the evenings, they have swimming. The swim team for the country club circuit is great - all levels including VERY beginners are included and rewarded. They practice 3 to 4 times a week and have meets just about every Tuesday. They get ribbons for participating (they both got 3rd place ribbons last week!), and they have learned to swim. Not to mention the fact that kids sleep REALLY well after a couple of hours swimming. ;) I posted a few pictures from the last meet in an album here on myspace (taken with Chris's camera - I was afraid to bring mine to the pool!).
Chris is working long hours, but he LOVES being back in the classroom. It is where he belongs. Unfortunately, he's got early morning classes (8 am two days a week) and late classes (6-9 pm FOUR days a week), so he's exhausted by Friday and sometimes goes a couple of days without seeing the kids. It is Thursday evening, and he hasn't seen them since he dropped them at tennis Tuesday morning. They will be asleep when he gets home tonight so he won't see them until tomorrow. And Friday is his "zombie" day where he walks around in a daze still suffering from complete exhaustion.
I've got a 5 day weekend coming up and am excited to have some down time. Tomorrow I think we'll head to Baton Rouge to see Sarah and Jim for the 4th. The kids are excited about that (and so are we!!). I may grab my camera and go grab some shots somewhere - it's been too long since I've done that. Though I have an extensive lens wish list, I can't justify buying even one more until I use the three that I have!!!! So maybe I'll have some fun new pics to post after this weekend. Chris still has to work, but maybe I'll bring the kids over to have lunch with him Monday.
I have still be cooking, just not posting about it. I think tonight I will make the sweet potatoe and shrimp cakes that I posted in the fall. I've got all of the ingredients in the fridge. Or maybe I'll just order a pizza and tackle the mountain of laundry on the sofa that is waiting so patiently to be folded. Or maybe I'll just order that pizza and watch the Olympic swim trials tonight with the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment